Balloon Blast Game Rules
Balloon Blast is a tactical multiplayer game. Set in a circus ring, the players take it in turns to use the cannon and bring as many balloons down as they can with each shot. Players should try to collect all the different colours of balloons equally to summon a circus performer for a special shot.
Aim of the Game
- Reduce the opponent’s energy/life points to 0
- In order to do this, you must shoot the balloons so that you form groups of 3 or more same-colored balloons. The same-colored group of balloons will burst and any balloons that were attached will fall down and subtract points from your opponent’s energy. Each fallen balloon subtracts one of your opponent’s life points.
It’s easy to play Balloon Blast! The only controls are for aiming, shooting and swapping the balloons in the cannon.
- Use the mouse to move and aim the cannon
- Click the left mouse button to shoot
- Use the spacebar to swap the two balloons in the cannon
- Alternatively, you can swap the balloons by clicking on the cannon.
Here is a brief explanation of all the game components in Balloon Blast:
Username and profile picture
2 Life Points
Shows how much energy you have left. You start each round with 60 life points. Every balloon your opponent manages to bring down will subtract one life point from your energy balance. If your energy reaches 0, you lose the round.
In training duels both players start with only 30 life points.
3 Playing Field
The playing field consists of many colourful balloons. Once the first batch of balloons has been cleared, more will appear from above.
4 Tiger Balloon
Tiger balloons cannot burst but will fall when the surrounding balloons are destroyed or fall.
You control the cannon. The movement is limited to an angle of 40°. The balloons for the current and next shot are always visible and can be swapped using the spacebar.
6 Aim Line
The aim line helps to give you an idea of where the balloon will hit. It also shows the rebound angle if you choose to bounce the balloon off the wall.
7 Colour Group Display
When you burst balloons the appropriate colour lights up in the display. Once all 20 lamps are lit (5 balloons of each colour) a circus performer will be called to the ring for a special shot.
How to Play
Here is an explanation of how to take a turn in Balloon Blast:
Shoot and Swap Balloons
- The cannon can be moved to a limited angle
- You can shoot balloons off the wall
- You can swap between the balloons for the current and next shot
Burst Balloons and Collect Colours
- The balloons stick to each other. Balloons will burst and disappear when you make a group of 3 or more same-coloured balloons by using the balloons in the cannon.
- If you shoot a balloon beyond the top of the playing field, the balloon flies away and disappears.
- Every balloon that bursts is automatically collected (see ‘Circus Performers’). If you have already collected 5 balloons of one colour, there is no change in your colour group display.
Attack Your Opponent
- Balloons that fall down without bursting will land in the opponent’s face and subtract life points from their energy - This is the main action in the game!
- Each balloon a player makes fall down will subtract 1 life point from their opponent, so try to make as many balloons fall as you can.
- Each Tiger Balloon a player brings down subtracts 5 life points from their opponent!
Shoot and miss
- If your shot does not hit any balloons but instead continues into the empty space above the playing field, 5 of your life points will be deducted.
- This rule does not apply to special shots (see below).
- Each turn is 7 seconds.
- If you don’t shoot within your turn, you lose 5 life points.
- If you have too many turns without shooting, you will lose the round.
End of Game
- A player wins the round when their opponent’s energy is reduced to 0.
- In duels with multiple rounds, the first player to reach the number of wins set in the lobby, wins the game.
- A player either wins or loses a round. Any remaining life points at the end of the round are irrelevant.
The Circus Performers
- If a player manages to burst 5 balloons of all four colours, a circus performer is called to the ring!
- Each circus performer gives the next shot a special effect
- Important: The special shot must be used immediately. It cannot be swapped or saved.
- Important: You get a second turn as soon as you collect all the colours. That means a circus performer is called to the ring and you have to take the shot immediately!
The Knife Thrower
- The Knife Thrower is the colour bomb - he removes all the balloons of one colour from the board.
- The colour of the balloon which is hit by the special shot determines which colour is removed.
- Hint: The Knife Thrower can also remove all Tiger Balloons. If the special shot hits a Tiger Balloon, the Tigers are released and land in your opponent’s face.
The Fire Eater
- The Fire Eater turns your balloon into a fireball.
- The fireball will burn and burst all the balloons it touches.
- Hint: You can also bounce the fireball off the wall to burn even more balloons.
The Lion Tamer
- The Lion Tamer will remove an entire row of balloons.
- The row that is first touched by this special shot will be removed.
- Hint: If you shoot this special shot above the playing field it will be wasted! For this special shot to work, make sure you hit a balloon in the playing field.